I am a public-policy researcher currently working in Carnegie India. My research focuses on the political economy of land markets and public institutions in land markets. I also continue to research state capacity and public administration issues from the perspective of them being binding constraints on economic growth. In addition, I have worked extensively on privacy and data regulation in India.
I have an LL.M. from Harvard Law School, and a B.A.LL.B from the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences
Before joining Carnegie India, I worked at the National Institute for Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi. I have also worked with the Center for Policy Research, and PRS Legislative Research, both based in New Delhi.
At NIPFP, I worked extensively with central government departments and agencies on issues related to land titling reforms, financial reforms and improvements in financial regulatory governance, capacity building and regulatory reform in agriculture. I also taught courses on constitutional law and regulatory governance.
My current research interests focus on the political economy of land markets, particularly the regulatory framework affecting land rights and land titles, the relationship between tenure security and land transactions, and public administration issues in land markets in India. Another area of interest is the relationship between land markets and the process of urbanisation and rural transformation occurring in India.
I also work on issues related to the political economy of data regulation in India.
These areas of research further my long-term interest in understanding the regulatory and administrative state in India.
Working Papers, Journal Publications, Book Chapters:
- “Land Title Insurance in India: Lessons from U.S. Regulatory Approaches“, CEIP Working Paper, AUGUST 14, 2020
- Measuring Regulatory Responsiveness in India: A Framework for Empirical Assessment, WILLIAM & MARY POLICY REVIEW, Vol.9, No. 2, 2018
- “How Would Data Localization Benefit India?” CEIP Working Paper, April 14, 2021.
- “India’s Sustained Economic Recovery Will Require Changes to Its Bankruptcy Law“, CEIP Working Paper, April 5, 2021.
- “Intrusive Pandemic-Era Monitoring Is the Same Old Surveillance State, Not a New One“, CEIP Article, MAY 07, 2020
- “Will India’s Proposed Data Protection Law Protect Privacy and Promote Growth?“, CEIP Working Paper, MARCH 09, 2020
- “Making Land Titles in India Marketable: Using Title Insurance as a Viable Alternative to Conclusive Titling“, WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL LAW JOURNAL, APRIL 15, 2019
- Recovery, Resilience, and Adaptation: India From 2020 to 2030, CEIP Working Paper, September 2020
- “Statutory Regulatory Authorities: Evolution and Impact”, K.P. Krishnan and Anirudh Burman, in Regulation in India: Design, Capacity, Performance, Eds. Devesh Kapur, Madhav Khosla (2019)
- “Will a GDPR-Style Data Protection Law Work For India?” CEIP Article, May 15, 2019
- “Diagnosing and overcoming sustained food price volatility: Enabling a National Market for Food“, Anirudh Burman, Ila Patnaik, Shubho Roy and Ajay Shah, NIPFP WP-236, 24-July-2018
- The Challenge of Building State Capacity in the Land Administration in Rajasthan: Creating a Regulatory Administration in Land, Devendra Damle and Anirudh Burman, SSRN, 2020
- “Movement and Residence”, Oxford Handbook of the Indian Constitution, Eds. Dr. P.B.Mehta, Mr. M. Khosla, Mr. S. Choudhary, OUP, 2016.
- “Legal Framework for the Parliamentary Oversight of the Executive in India”, NUJS Law Review, 6 NUJS L. Rev. 3 (2013).
- “Regulatory responsiveness in India: A normative and empirical framework for assessment”, Working Paper (WP-2016-025) co-authored with Ms. Bhargavi Zaveri, July 2016.
- “Building an institution of insolvency practitioners in India” Working Paper (WP-2015-033) co-authored with Mr. Shubho Roy, for the Bankruptcy Law Reforms Commission, December 2015.
- “Transparency in Political Parties-Finding the Right Instrument”, Economic and Political Weekly, July 13, 2013.
- Building an Institution of Insolvency Practitioners in India, SSRN, 2015
Op-eds and shorter pieces:
- Regulations Proposed by Draft Report on Non-Personal Data Need a Relook, Indian Express, JULY 30, 2020
- Banking to groceries — Data Protection Authority has multi-sector role, but must be efficient, Print, December 6, 2020
- How COVID-19 is Changing Indian Federalism, East Asia Forum, July 28, 2020
- Don’t Discriminate Against Non-Resident Migrants, Hindustan Times, June 22, 2020
- Migrant Workmen Act, 1979, Must be Rationalised to Remove Requirements that Disincentivise Formalisation, Indian Express, May 9, 2020
- Surveillance Power, Diluting Privacy: Why Modi Govt’s Data Bill Needs Urgent Modification, Print, March 9, 2020
- The Draft Personal Data Protection Bill is Flawed, Hindustan Times, December 16, 2019
- Lost in the Data Localization Debate: Does India Have Full Power to Exploit Its Own Data?, Print, October 25, 2019
- India, the Biggest Open Data Market, Has a Chance to Lead the World on Data Arbitration, July 22, 2019
- India Has to Attack Causes of Land Litigation. Modi’s Ease of Doing Business Depends on It, July 1, 2019
- How Responsive Are India’s Regulators?, Quint, April 19, 2019
- SC Only Quashed RBI Circular on Bad Loans, the Insolvency Law Still Hangs on Private Firms, Print, April 5, 2019
- Land Reform a Game-Changer that Narendra Modi Government has Overlooked, Print, January 6, 2019
- “Ordinance Route”, Frontline, August9, 2013.
- “Notion of Justice”, Frontline, January 10, 2014.
- “The Narrative of independent regulators”, Bar and Bench, July 2013.
- “The Narrative of judicial appointments”, Bar and Bench, July 2013.
- “Dams and Disasters in the Himalayas”, Mint, July 9, 2013.
My Carnegie India page: Here
My SSRN page: Here
My posts on the LEAP Journal blog: Here
Talks/ Lectures/ Discussions:
- “Understanding India’s Contentious New Farm Laws“, February 19, 2021
- “Future of Personal and Non personal Data” February 24, 2021
- “Recovery and Resilience: A workshop on India’s Bankruptcy Resolution Framework“
- “The Way Ahead: Land Title Insurance in India“, September 18, 2020
- “Labor Regulation and Economic Growth in India“, June 19, 2020
- “Data privacy and Pandemics“, May 6, 2020
- “Data Protection, Privacy & Disease Surveillance While Fighting COVID-19“, April 29, 2020
- “Carnegie Insights: Coronavirus and State Surveillance“, April 13, 2020
- “Data Protection in India with Anirudh Burman“, April 2, 2020
Other positions held:
- Member, Subject Expert Committee for IICA project “Development of Performance Evaluation Mechanism For Regulatory Bodies in India (January 2021)