Some official and confidential documents relating to the 2G-Spectrum allocation scam were put up by the Hindu on its website for a while yesterday. A read through the 2gspectrumscam document reveals a disturbing network of politicians, businessmen, PR firms and journalists. What follows is a small summary.
The CBI is investigating a criminal case under the Indian Penal Code as well as the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988. It is alleged that there is a criminal conspiracy between public servants and private persons in the grant of UAS licenses in 2007-08. The government put telephone lines of certain individuals under observation after taking due authorisation. This revealed:
1. Certain middlemen including one Ms. Nira Radia and around 4 companies/ ventures owned by her seem to be actively involved in the conspiracy. Her companies were involved in consulting in Telecom, Power, Aviation, and infrastructure. These entities not only try to influence the media, they also try to influence policy changes to suit the commercial requirements of their clients.
2. Telephone conversations reveal that Mrs. Radia might have had some role with regards to the award of telecom licenses. There are also some direct conversations between Ms. Radia and the Telecom minister. Ms. Radia has also been instrumental in getting licenses and spectrum to the following: (a) Swan telecom, (b) Aircell, (c) Unitech Wireless, (d) Datacom.
3. There is a long conversation between Mr. Ratan Tata and Ms. Radia which establishes that Mr. Tata wanted to prevent Dayanidhi Maran from becoming Telecom Minister. Mr. Tata felt the need to exit telecom in case Mr. Maran became minister.
4. Sunil Mittal of Bharti Airtel had been lobbying to prevent Raja from becoming Telecom Minister. Mr. Mittal was lobbying for Dayanidhi maran.
5. On Mrs. Radia’s behalf Barkha Dutt and Vir Sanghvi were negotiating for ministerial berths for DMK members with the Congress.
6. A member of the Mukesh Ambani group in conversation seems to be trying to implicate members of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group through Mrs. Radia. There is a conversation regarding Mrs. Radia’s organizing a Delhi-based NGO to file PIL cases and other cases against the ADAG group.
These are just some major points I wanted to put out from the document. The papers were discussed extensively in Parliament (Rajya Sabha) yesterday. For the debate in Rajya Sabha, click here.